New & Upcoming
The Mason-Rice Book Fair Family Festival
WHEN: This Sunday, Nov. 21st
- Family event with outdoor Book Fair shopping and more. There will be fun surprise activities for everyone to enjoy!
K-2 families: 1:00-2:30 pm
3-5 families: 2:30-4:00 pm
* Time slots are suggested in order to help create spacing for everyone; but families should come whenever they’re able to join the fun!
- Outdoor (in person!) and online (in pj’s!) shopping options
- Premiere of the M-R 2021/2022 school bookmark! Congratulations to our design winners, Amanda Yam (2T) and Julianna Shi (5L), and thank you to all the wonderful artists who all submitted gorgeous artwork!
- Special thanks to local small business, Sandwich Works, who has donated treats to enjoy at the event!
- A limited edition Mason-Rice bookbag/tote will be for sale on Sunday for a special bookfair-only price of $15. Mason-Rice tees will also be available for sale! Credit cards, cash, and check accepted.
What can you do today?
The Mason-Rice Online Auction Seeks Your Help and Creativity
When: Jan. 20-30, 2022
As we gear up for our auction in January, we are seeking:
Our very small team needs more volunteers to follow up with donors we’ve already contacted, organize donations online, and populate the auction website with donated items. Please email us to join!
Donations of Parent Events
Over the years, the most popular auction items have been the parent-hosted experiences and gatherings. Not only do these events bring in much needed funds, they also provide a great opportunity to get to know other Mason-Rice families and have fun! We are so excited about parent events making another big splash this year and we look forward to your creativity and generosity. Past events have included Dodge Ball, Tacos & Tequila Night, Louisiana Surf & Turf, Moms Movie Night, Belgian Beer Fest, and Wine Tasting. If you’d like to host an event, need help thinking through a potential idea, or have any questions, please contact us.
Upcoming Mason-Rice FORJ Meeting
When: Wednesday 12/1 at 7:30pm
FORJ (Families Organizing for Racial Justice) will have a meeting on Wednesday 12/1 at 7:30pm (via Zoom). They will be discussing how they can support the Mason Rice community and activities for the year. If you are interested in learning more about FORJ or attending the meeting, please email Molly Perencevich or Janelle Phillips.
Green Team: Kids Campus Cleanup Continues
Tuesday 11/30, 2:50-4pm (Gr. 1-3, with parent/guardian)
Have you noticed trash on our playground? Want to help keep our environment clean? Join the M-R Green Team to clean up our playground while having fun! M-R Green Team parents Wendy Sheu and Yvonne Chen have launched a series of after-school outdoor sessions, running twice a month. Each session runs from 2:50-4pm and comprises of a Mason-Rice campus cleanup and a hands-on activity and/or environmental art project. This program is geared towards M-R students who care about the environment and are interested in making our community greener.
Join us! Find additional details and sign up HERE to join our 11/30 November session. Limited space, first-come first-served!
Reminders & Updates
Gift of Giving – Update
Thank you to all who have kindly signed up to fulfill a child’s Wish List for the Gift of Giving. ALL Wish Lists have been taken and the first gifts are already coming in!
To support families in our own Mason-Rice community, and to round out our 85 wish lists, we have added Star Market, Target, and Visa gift cards to our Sign-Up. For those who haven’t yet had a chance to sign up for Gift of Giving, please consider choosing this important option. Gift cards should be dropped off by Sunday, December 5th to Jay Wood, 26 Park Lane, right around the corner from Mason-Rice. Be sure to write your name on the sign-up sheet in the large plastic bin on the porch.
We are also accepting new unwrapped toys, crafts, and art supplies that can be used to supplement wish lists as needed. These items can also be left on the front porch at 26 Park Lane by Sunday, December 5th.
Support the Businesses that Support Us
Your usual shopping can support PTO-funded activities (such as teacher classroom allowances, appreciation lunches, and curriculum-enhancing programming for all our students). Last year, the Mason-Rice community shopped with our partners and raised nearly $1500 while participation in our Spring '21 Restaurant Series raised an additional $1100!
Note that these programs/partnerships, below, run year-round!
- Go to Mabel's Labels homepage and click "Support a Fundraiser"
- Type and select "Mason-Rice Elementary School PTO" in the menu
- Shop your order and check-out as usual
- Mabel's Labels will automatically donate 20% of the order back to the PTO
Select 'Mason-Rice PTO' with AmazonSmile and the PTO Benefits from Your Everyday Purchases. Set it up once and never again!
#1: Select Mason-Rice as Your AmazonSmile Charity-of-Choice
- Visit AmazonSmile and sign in with your Amazon.com credentials.
- Choose and select Mason-Rice Elementary School PTO as the charitable organization to receive donations.
- Start all of your Amazon shopping at the Smile homepage, versus amazon.com. The shopping experience is the exact same, but your purchases will qualify for Smile commissions to the PTO.
#2: Turn On AmazonSmile on Your Amazon Shopping app
- Make sure you're signed up for AmazonSmile in web browser.
- Open the Amazon Shopping app and find “Settings” in the main menu (☰).
- Tap on “AmazonSmile” (under "Programs & Features") and follow the on-screen instructions to turn on AmazonSmile in the app.
- Shop as usual!