PTO Notes 06-03-2022
What To Know This Week
Here’s What’s New
Mason-Rice Loves to Reed!
Ms. Reed and Ms. Whittum will be retiring this year after many years at Mason-Rice. Please join us in celebrating Ms. Reed and Ms. Whittum and all the ways they’ve inspired our children to love “reeding”!
- Thank you-Notes:
• Please have your child prepare a note or drawing for Ms. Reed and Ms. Whittum.
• Notes can be dropped off in the collection box at the front of the school beginning, Monday 6/5, or delivered in person at the 6/21 celebration.
- Spirit Day: Tuesday, 6/21
• Children are encouraged to dress up as their favorite character!
• We will have sidewalk chalk at dropoff for children to “Chalk the Walk” in honor of Ms. Reed and Ms. Whittum.
- After-School Celebration: Tuesday, 6/21, 3pm at the M-R front entrance
• We’ll share in-person and written thank-yous, and present gifts to Ms. Reed and Ms. Whittum.
• Cold treats will be served!
• MRASP can bring kids to the celebration. (If you’d like your child to attend with MRASP, please fill out this form.)
• Mason-Rice alumni are welcome! (Alums should register here so we can get an accurate headcount; notes can also be submitted online through the same link.)
PTO – Reminder to Vote!
On Wednesday, the PTO Presidents and Board emailed the community with the proposed slate of directors and budget for FY 2022-23. All parents are invited and encouraged to vote either via proxy here (until 9p on Thursday, 6/9) or by attending the PTO‘s Annual Meeting (in person) on Friday, June 10th at 8:30 AM.
Please note, there was a non-substantial, de minimis error in the budget PDF shared in Wednesday’s email. An updated file can be found here. Thank you, parents and caregivers, for your participation. As always, email the PTO with any ideas, concerns, or inquiries.
M-R Field Day – Volunteers Needed!
- What: One of the most fun days of the school year!
- When: Wednesday, 6/8 (rain date 6/15), 8:30am-12pm
- Where: M-R playground and field
- SIGN UP to volunteer! We need around 45 parents to help run this fun day!
For 5th Grade Families- SEPAC at Brown Middle School
A message from Kim Gallaugher, Special Education Parent Liaison for Brown Middle School:
My role is to answer any questions and discuss any concerns about your child’s services at Brown. During the school year, I host monthly Zoom sessions to give parents whose children are receiving special education services at Brown the opportunity to connect and to share their experiences. I will host a special Zoom for incoming parents on June 7 at 7:00pm – see link below. As a SEPAC member, I am also here to help with any issues outside of NPS relating to your child’s disability. Please email me for more information about the SEPAC or with any questions or concerns about your child.
Incoming Brown Parent Zoom Meeting:
Tuesday June 7 at 7:00pm | Join via ZOOM
Friday (Adults Only) Lunch Bunch Is Back!
Join your fellow M-R parents and guardians for conversation and a meal at one of our wonderful Newton Centre Restaurants.
- Friday June 10th, 12PM @ BaraMor
- Friday June 17th, 12PM @ Union Street Restaurant
No RSVP necessary. Contact Kevin Mitchell with questions.
Order Next Year’s School Supplies
Every year, teachers request a set of items to supply the classroom and students with “must have” items. You can purchase these items on your own, but the PTO uses a service, 1st Day School Supplies, to make the purchasing process a lot easier. This program is not a fundraiser and the prices are competitive. Kits will be delivered directly to the school! It can’t get any easier than that! Order today, HERE.
Reminders & Updates
2nd Grade: Exploring China
On Thursday, May 26th, the 2nd grade was treated to a CAS presentation by Shaw Pong Liu called Exploring China: The “Middle Kingdom” Through Music & Story. Shaw Pong told stories, taught the children some words in Chinese, and played the violin and Erhu as she took the group on a trip to different parts of China.
4th Grade: RAP (Rhythm and Poetry)
On Thursday, June 2nd, our 4th graders had an inspiring experience on the power of words and rhythm with Corey DePina, a skilled rapper and enthusiastic workshop leader. To the backdrop of hip hop instrumental beats, our students were engaged in coming up with their rhyme base, connecting to their word bank, and creating their own verses! Corey brought amazing energy to the classrooms by encouraging the students to think, to write, to share, and to feel OK to mess up! Ask your 4th grader to share their own poem and you will be impressed.
5th Grade: Wingmasters – World of Owls
On Friday, May 27th, Jim Parks of Wingmasters returned to Mason-Rice to share his beautiful owls with our 5th graders. Jim demonstrated what makes owls such skilled nocturnal hunters and how they use their specialized adaptations (sight, hearing, and flight) to survive and thrive. Jim introduced multiple live owls during his presentation to “oohs” and “aahs” from our 5th graders who were enthralled throughout.
These and all of the wonderful CAS presentations are brought to your children with PTO Creative Arts & Sciences funding!
5th Grade Car Wash: Last Day to Sign Up for a Shift!
- When: this Sunday, 6/5, 9am-2pm
- Where: Mason-Rice
- 5th graders and parents: **We need your help!** Please sign up for a shift HERE by TONIGHT.
- Everyone else: Bring your cars and come support our hard working 5th graders as they raise funds for their graduation! $10/wash!
- Questions? Contact Janelle Phillips.
Fun Run & Family Picnic: Last Day to Buy Pizza!
- What: Annual kid-friendly run followed by a picnic end-of-year celebration!
- When: Monday, 6/6, 5:30pm (rain date 6/7)
- PRE-PURCHASE Pizza and Drinks by midnight TONIGHT! All proceeds will benefit the rising 5th grade class. Free Hawaiian Shaved Ice will be provided to all as a treat from the PTO!
- **–VOLUNTEER– to help organize runners or monitor the Fun Run course.** (If we don’t have enough volunteers for the Fun Run, we will have to cancel this much beloved and anticipated tradition!)
- 4th Grade Parents – SIGN UP to help with the picnic fundraiser.
A+ Magazine: Purchase by 6/10
- [See e-mailed PTO Notes] to view/download the 2022 A+ Magazine for free!
- Printed full color copies are available for PURCHASE HERE. All orders must be received by June 10 and will be distributed before the end of the school year.
Contact us at with any questions.
Support the Businesses that Support Us
Your usual shopping can support PTO-funded activities (such as teacher classroom allowances, appreciation lunches, and curriculum-enhancing programming for all our students). Last year, the Mason-Rice community shopped with our partners and raised nearly $1500 while participation in our Spring '21 Restaurant Series raised an additional $1100!
Note that these programs/partnerships, below, run year-round!
- Go to Mabel's Labels homepage and click "Support a Fundraiser"
- Type and select "Mason-Rice Elementary School PTO" in the menu
- Shop your order and check-out as usual
- Mabel's Labels will automatically donate 20% of the order back to the PTO
Enjoy 20% off Minted cards & gifts with promo code [see e-mailed PTO Notes]. 15% of each order will be donated back to the PTO.