Reminder: TODAY is Patriots Spirit Day and Red Shoes Day!
Wear your favorite Patriots gear or the colors red and blue to support the team as they enter the playoffs; Wear red shoes to celebrate Mason-Rice’s 300,000th puzzle on ST Math!
New & Upcoming
Monday, January 17th: MLK Day
The function of education is to teach one to think intensively and to think critically. Intelligence plus character – that is the goal of true education.
– Martin Luther King, Jr.
REMINDER: There is no school on Monday for MLK Day. We wish everyone a relaxing and meaningful holiday.
Mason-Rice Online Auction
When: January 20-30, 2022
Our online auction opens at 8 am next Thursday, January 20th! Get ready to bid on amazing items here.
Here’s a sneak preview:
- We have a great selection of summer camps including Camp Cody, Camp Grossman, BB&N, Belmont Hill, Fessenden, LINX, and many more
- Mason-Rice Only Louisiana Surf and Turf at The Hooper’s and Tacos and Tequila Night are back
- Bid for extra recess for your entire Mason-Rice class
- Get membership or tickets to the JCC, Boston Athenaeum, Mass Audubon, ICA, Discovery Museum, and more
- Check out offerings from local businesses such as Heartbreak Hill, Baramor, Down Under Yoga, Holly Cleaners, Manow Thai, Cabot, and more
Get cool stuff and support our school! And support local businesses. Win-win-win!
Jan 27th: SEPAC Special Event
What: Interactive Media Use and Youth Mental Health: Guidance for Parents Across the Developmental Span
When: Thursday, January, 27th at 7pm
The Newton Special Education Parent Advisory Council (SEPAC) is excited to partner with Boston Children’s Hospital’s Digital Wellness Lab to offer a comprehensive presentation on the relationship between children’s and teens’ media use and their mental health. The Digital Wellness Lab’s senior content strategist, Kristelle Lavallee Collins, will discuss the most recent research on the relationships between interactive media use and the well-being of children and adolescents. The presentation will also cover the latest science-based strategies parents and caregivers can employ to support children in developing a “healthy” relationship with technology and screen media.
Reminders & Updates
LAST CALL: Newton Community Food Drive!
When: January 10-15, 2022
* Donate by Saturday morning at 9AM *
Newton is running a Community Food Drive leading up to the MLK Celebration on Jan. 17. Requested items include non-expired cereal (brand names), white tuna, hearty soups, broth, ground coffee (1-lb. bags), herbal tea, body lotion (12-16oz) and toothpaste.
FORJ group members will deliver items from the bin to City Hall, where collections will be distributed to three local food pantries to help members of our community who’ve been struggling during the pandemic.
Items can be placed in the collection bin outside Mason-Rice anytime today, or Saturday morning by 9am.
Support the Businesses that Support Us
Your usual shopping can support PTO-funded activities (such as teacher classroom allowances, appreciation lunches, and curriculum-enhancing programming for all our students). Last year, the Mason-Rice community shopped with our partners and raised nearly $1500 while participation in our Spring '21 Restaurant Series raised an additional $1100!
Note that these programs/partnerships, below, run year-round!
- Go to Mabel's Labels homepage and click "Support a Fundraiser"
- Type and select "Mason-Rice Elementary School PTO" in the menu
- Shop your order and check-out as usual
- Mabel's Labels will automatically donate 20% of the order back to the PTO
Select 'Mason-Rice PTO' with AmazonSmile and the PTO Benefits from Your Everyday Purchases. Set it up once and never again!
#1: Select Mason-Rice as Your AmazonSmile Charity-of-Choice
- Visit AmazonSmile and sign in with your Amazon.com credentials.
- Choose and select Mason-Rice Elementary School PTO as the charitable organization to receive donations.
- Start all of your Amazon shopping at the Smile homepage, versus amazon.com. The shopping experience is the exact same, but your purchases will qualify for Smile commissions to the PTO.
#2: Turn On AmazonSmile on Your Amazon Shopping app
- Make sure you're signed up for AmazonSmile in web browser.
- Open the Amazon Shopping app and find “Settings” in the main menu (☰).
- Tap on “AmazonSmile” (under "Programs & Features") and follow the on-screen instructions to turn on AmazonSmile in the app.
- Shop as usual!