New & Upcoming
Picture Day is Back!
On Monday, May 16th Hayward Photography will be at Mason-Rice taking individual student photographs as well as class pictures. Prepaid orders must be placed by May 19th. This year, online payment is preferred.
Visit Hayward Photography then click the blue “Prepay for Photo Day” button and enter MAS22 (our school code) to place your order. Individual Print Orders and Digital Download Proof Cards will be MAILED directly to your home address.
Get those smiles ready!
SEPAC Award Nominations
The Special Education Parent Advisory Council (SEPAC) is pleased to announce that the annual SEPAC Awards nominations are open from May 2 through Tuesday, May 17. Nominees will be notified virtually again this year, and here is how the process works:
- Families should submit nominations using the Google Nomination Form
- Each nominee will receive the text of the nomination in an email
- The email to each nominee will also include messages of thanks from Mayor Fuller, Superintendent Fleishman, the School Committee, and the SEPAC Board
- Each nominee will receive a printed award and a small gift that will be dropped off at their school or location in early June
- We will send each Principal a list of the nominees from their schools
For those new to Newton SEPAC, the annual SEPAC Awards are a way to honor Newton Public Schools (NPS) and Out of District (ODD) staff who have gone the extra mile to support our special education students. Nominees span a wide range of staff, including teachers, aides, BTs, therapists, bus drivers, crossing guards, administrators, other support staff, etc. All nominees receive an award. The SEPAC Awards were held in person pre-pandemic, and will be virtual again in 2022.
Please contact the SEPAC Board with any questions.
Creative Arts and Sciences: Annawon Weedon
On Friday, April 29th, our third graders were treated to a visit from Annawon Weedon of the Mashpee Wampanoag tribe. Our students learned about Annawon’s culture through interactive stories using artifacts such as a turtle shell, articles of clothing and a beaver skin. At the end of their visit together, Annawon led the students in a corn husk doll making activity. A great morning was shared by all!
Fun Facts! Massachusetts (in Wampanoag culture) means “The Great Barren Hill Place” and Wampanoag means “People of the First Light.”
Reminders & Updates
Family Movie Night, May 13 – Encanto!
The PTO invites you to enjoy Family Movie Night on Friday, May 13th for a viewing of Disney’s Encanto! All are welcome so pack your fluffy blankets and chairs, pillows, and drinks!
Pick a spot behind the school at 7:40 p.m. – the movie starts promptly at sunset! Popcorn and assorted candy will be available (donations suggested).
Appreciating M-R Teachers and Staff
Thanks to the generous contributions from our community–to the Annual Fund, annual online auction, and other fundraising efforts–as well as the creative and dedicated efforts of many volunteers, the PTO was able to make Teacher Appreciation Week special for our teachers and staff. Every day this week, they were treated to something unexpected including:
- Monday: Sidewalk and Message Board messages that greeted teachers and staff as they arrived at work
- Tuesday: Sweet treats and a triptych of messages from MR students to each teacher
- Wednesday: An iced-coffee bar to kick off the morning
- Thursday: Snack bar for a midday boost
- Friday: Gift cards to Starbucks for all staff and teachers
Upcoming Important M-R Dates
- 5/12: NPS Early Release Day (elementary only)
- 5/13: Family Movie Night – Encanto
- 5/16: School Picture Day
- 5/30: No School (Memorial Day)
- 6/20: No School (Juneteenth)
- 6/24: Last Day of School (NPS)
- 6/27: Last Day of School (Optional, Mason-Rice only)
Support the Businesses that Support Mason-Rice
Your usual shopping can support PTO-funded activities (such as teacher classroom allowances, appreciation lunches, and curriculum-enhancing programming for all our students). Last year, the Mason-Rice community shopped with our partners and raised nearly $1500 while participation in our Spring '21 Restaurant Series raised an additional $1100!
Note that these programs/partnerships, below, run year-round!
- Go to Mabel's Labels homepage and click "Support a Fundraiser"
- Type and select "Mason-Rice Elementary School PTO" in the menu
- Shop your order and check-out as usual
- Mabel's Labels will automatically donate 20% of the order back to the PTO
Select 'Mason-Rice PTO' with AmazonSmile and the PTO Benefits from Your Everyday Purchases. Set it up once and never again!
#1: Select Mason-Rice as Your AmazonSmile Charity-of-Choice
- Visit AmazonSmile and sign in with your Amazon.com credentials.
- Choose and select Mason-Rice Elementary School PTO as the charitable organization to receive donations.
- Start all of your Amazon shopping at the Smile homepage, versus amazon.com. The shopping experience is the exact same, but your purchases will qualify for Smile commissions to the PTO.
#2: Turn On AmazonSmile on Your Amazon Shopping app
- Make sure you're signed up for AmazonSmile in web browser.
- Open the Amazon Shopping app and find “Settings” in the main menu (☰).
- Tap on “AmazonSmile” (under "Programs & Features") and follow the on-screen instructions to turn on AmazonSmile in the app.
- Shop as usual!