New & Upcoming
Exploring One Book Together
On March 14th, M-R students will be reading The Year We Learned to Fly by Jacqueline Woodson in a shared reading experience across the school. In addition, join the following Families Organizing for Racial Justice (FORJ)-sponsored parent events to meet other parents, discuss The Year We Learned to Fly, learn about FORJ and brainstorm future community events. We will have copies of the book available.
- Monday, 3/14: All students will be listening to the book as a read-aloud in their classroom, followed by a guided discussion.
- Monday, 3/14, 7PM: Virtual reading for students/families led by Jake Bultema, Lisa Addleman, and Jennifer Reed. Join via Zoom by clicking here (or Meeting ID: 884 9677 5300 | Meeting Passcode: [see e-mailed Notes])
- Wednesday, 3/16, 7:30-9:00PM: Fireside S’mores (Location: 23 Chapin Road backyard- please RSVP here.)
- Thursday, 3/17 after drop-off: Parent Coffee in front of M-R
Save the Date for the M-R STEAM Playground: April 6th and 13th!
Mason-Rice’s beloved STEAM playground returns on April 6th and 13th and we need YOU to make it a success! For two days, Mason-Rice students will experience hands-on STEAM activities with their classmates.
Have a passion for science, technology, engineering, arts, or math? Just want to see your kids and classmates in action? Keep your eyes peeled for a Sign-Up Genius to volunteer and help out for an hour or three on Wednesday, April 6 and Wednesday, April 13.
Middle School Information Session for parents of students with IEPs and/or 504s
Presentations for all middle schools: Oak Hill, Day, Bigelow and Brown will be held this spring. Here is the link to Information Sessions as they are scheduled. This document will be actively updated, so please keep checking back for zoom links, recordings and slides. Individual links may also be found on each Middle School website. Please reach out to Lindsay MacAuley Friedberg with any questions.
Oak Hill: March 4, 9am
Day: March 14, 12:30pm
Bigelow: March 22, time TBD
Brown: March 14, 9am
Webteam Volunteers Needed!
Our webteam is in desperate need for some volunteers next year! Ideally someone who has experience with WordPress. Light workload — mainly updating website software 2x/month and helping to upload information to the PTO website. Anyone curious or interested, please contact Gina Rhee ASAP.
Reminders & Updates
Follow Our New School Instagram Account
A+ Magazine – Student Editors needed!
Attention 4th and 5th graders! A+ Magazine is looking for student editors to help put together this year’s Magazine! We will be having an informational Zoom meeting on Wednesday, March 9th at 12:45 pm for any interested 4th or 5th graders (we will send a Zoom link closer to the meeting date). If you are planning to attend or have any questions, please email us. We look forward to meeting you!
Support the Businesses that Support Us
Your usual shopping can support PTO-funded activities (such as teacher classroom allowances, appreciation lunches, and curriculum-enhancing programming for all our students). Last year, the Mason-Rice community shopped with our partners and raised nearly $1500 while participation in our Spring '21 Restaurant Series raised an additional $1100!
Note that these programs/partnerships, below, run year-round!
- Go to Mabel's Labels homepage and click "Support a Fundraiser"
- Type and select "Mason-Rice Elementary School PTO" in the menu
- Shop your order and check-out as usual
- Mabel's Labels will automatically donate 20% of the order back to the PTO
Select 'Mason-Rice PTO' with AmazonSmile and the PTO Benefits from Your Everyday Purchases. Set it up once and never again!
#1: Select Mason-Rice as Your AmazonSmile Charity-of-Choice
- Visit AmazonSmile and sign in with your Amazon.com credentials.
- Choose and select Mason-Rice Elementary School PTO as the charitable organization to receive donations.
- Start all of your Amazon shopping at the Smile homepage, versus amazon.com. The shopping experience is the exact same, but your purchases will qualify for Smile commissions to the PTO.
#2: Turn On AmazonSmile on Your Amazon Shopping app
- Make sure you're signed up for AmazonSmile in web browser.
- Open the Amazon Shopping app and find “Settings” in the main menu (☰).
- Tap on “AmazonSmile” (under "Programs & Features") and follow the on-screen instructions to turn on AmazonSmile in the app.
- Shop as usual!