Please join us in your child’s 3rd grade class on Thursday March 8th, from 9am to 11am, to help present the Blindness & Low Vision unit of Understanding Our Differences. We will also be presenting the Deafness & Hard of Hearing unit on Thursday May 17th, also from 9am to 11am. If you can volunteer for both dates that would be very helpful, and if you can only do one of those dates that would be great too!
Understanding Our Differences is a nonprofit organization working in partnership with the Newton Public Schools to provide a unique and creative disability awareness program for elementary school children in grades 3-5. Presented by volunteers, the program promotes inclusion, understanding and acceptance of people with disabilities and individual differences at our schools and in our community.
Each Understanding Our Differences Unit includes
• an informational PowerPoint presentation and video
• group discussions
• hands-on activities
• a guest speaker with disabilities and an opportunity to hear, and ask questions about, their experiences
Top 5 Reasons to Volunteer with Understanding Our Differences
1. Share time in the classroom with your child and other students.
2. Get to know other parents and volunteers.
3. Be a role model for inclusiveness.
4. Learn to see the person not the disability.
5. Feel confident knowing we provide you with training and curriculum by Understanding our Differences. You can choose from online or in person training.
Interested in helping out? SIGN UP HERE!
Want to know more?