As the Mason-Rice Chapter of FORJ, this week we’d like to tell you a little more about what we do and invite you to contact us or come to a MR FORJ meeting. We have a vibrant, dynamic team and encourage you to learn more about us! We are one of many FORJ chapters in Newton at various elementary and middle schools working together:
- FORJ is a coalition of families in and around Newton, MA who believe that change starts at home and in our own communities.
- We are a learning community educating ourselves, our children, our schools and our communities about differences including religion, nation of origin, race and gay and lesbian issues. We want to learn more about cultures, identities and racial issues.
- We strive to achieve even safer and more welcoming learning environments that enhance the well-being of all people. We promote connection among communities and between people.
- From lectures on race and diversity to discussion groups, community events, dynamic diversity trainings and more, we follow the lead of our school communities and help families like ours foster inclusion in our city and schools.
A FORJ upcoming event that may interest Mason Rice parents:
Tuesday, March 13th 6:30p-8:30pm at Angier Elementary – Family FORJ Meeting with kids invited to participate.
We will have 3 or 4 stations set up for small groups to rotate through to learn about ideas for FORJ events. Here are some that we are considering:
1) Kaleidoscope Bag Ideas
2) “Zootopia” Movie and Discussion –How to
3) Brainstorming Ideas station
4) “Not in Our Town”
5) Boston-Newton Connection or Dynamic Diversity Night Ideas
This evening will be a great opportunity for families to get to know each other and for us to learn from our children new ideas for how to work for racial justice and build strong communities in our schools.
“Whatever we believe about ourselves and our ability comes true for us.”
—Susan L. Taylor, journalist