Each year in the Spring, more than 50 Exhibits are presented at the Mason-Rice Student Science Fair. All students are invited to participate. Registration is required. Read below for more information. If you are interested in helping, contact Elissa Rottenberg.
Join us for Mason-Rice’s Student Science Fair
All students in all grades are invited to exhibit their project and/or experiments.
EXCITING FOR KIDS: The fun is in the tinkering! Perform an experiment or invent a gadget. The more interactive and participatory your project, the better! Kids can work with their friends, siblings, or on their own.
EASY ON PARENTS: Kids can design their own project or choose from a science fair project website or book. Each project should fit on a 2’ x 3’ table space and have a simple poster to explain it. Operative words: kid-quality!
FUN FOR EVERYONE: Any student (K to 5) can display a project. Participation is optional. The whole Mason-Rice community is welcome to come to the Fair and see the inventions and experiments.
STUDENT SCIENCE FAIR GUIDELINES for projects
Remember KID Friendly and KID QUALITY.
- Kid quality projects only! Parent support is great (and probably necessary for younger students), but let the kids take the lead.
- Projects can be Inventions (a new device to solve a problem), Investigations (hypothesis-experiment-results-conclusion), Presentations (describing research about a topic) or anything else science-related.
- Projects do not have to work perfectly. The idea is more important than the final product.
- Electrical outlets are limited, and not guaranteed. Let us know if your project needs one.
- Safety is key—please make sure that your project is safe.
- Projects set-up time is 5:30 to 6 pm. Projects need to be removed at 7 pm.
- Students should create a poster to explain what they did. Short and simple is best.
- The science fair is an exhibition, not a competition.
- Need project ideas? www.sciencebuddies.org, www.tryscience.org or check out a Science Fair Projects book from the library. Science project book and example posters will be on display in the lobby during Science Discovery Week.
HOW TO REGISTER
Registration is required. Individual and group project can be exhibited. All you have to do is complete the registration form and return to the PTO Science Fair box in the Mason-Rice lobby by date March 31.